After purchasing a sophisticated car insurance policy, the second most traumatic thing is to make a successful claim. Purchasing a car insurance plan is somewhere easy in this well connected online-based generation. But to recollect your senses and inform the insurance company is difficult after getting into an accident. 10% of the total claims in India get rejected by the insurance company because they have not intimated within the time range. So, informing the insurance company after getting into an accident is the first and the most important part of the Car Insurance claim.
Whether you are responsible for the accident or not, you should need to inform your insurance provider about the incident. Along with your own damaged car, you can also pay for the other party damages with third party liability coverage. Let your insurance provider decide who is guilty and whether they can approve the claim or not.
Before making a claim, the policyholder should know whether the incident is eligible to make a claim or not. All the damages incurred due to an unpredicted activity are covered under the car insurance policy. Along with the physical damage to the cay, you can also make a claim for bodily injuries. Act of vandalism, theft, and damage due to natural calamities are also considered to make a claim.
It is not necessary to make a claim for every incident that happens to your vehicle. Sometimes you can avoid it too. Unnecessary and frequent insurance claims will affect your no claim bonus. Also, your insurance credibility will be decreased, the results of which you will not be able to purchase an insurance policy later. Basically, people use insurance policies as a shield to unforeseen damages. But if you take too frequent claims for small damages then it will impact you back. This will also result in increased premiums at the time of renewal. Moreover, some insurance companies don’t prefer to issue a policy to customers with low credibility. So, make sure to take a claim when it is necessary and the repairing expenses are too high.
Types of car insurance claims:
- Reimbursement claims: The claims in which the policyholder needs to pay the expenses first is called a reimbursement claim. Of course, lately, the insurance company will transfer the overall amount that the insured pays at the service center. You can repair your car at any nearby local garage to make a reimbursement claim. Customers do not prefer this type of claim settlement because in this they have to pay from their pocket.
- Cashless claims: The most preferred type of claim settlement method is the cashless method. Whether we talk about cars or bikes, we need a claim settlement process in which we don’t have to pay money from our pocket. It is important to repair your vehicle at a network garage to avail of the benefit of cashless claims. All insurance companies have a list of network garages from which you can take cashless repairing service. You just have to pay the deductible amount and the rest of the expenses will be taken care of by the insurance provider.
Documents Required to make a Car Insurance Claim
Whenever you go to make a claim, the insurance company will ask you for some important documents. If you miss providing these documents, they will reject your claim. So, let’s give a look at the list of documents that are required to make a claim.
- Vehicle registration certificate
- Documents of the Car insurance policy
- Driving License of the person who is driving the vehicle at the time of the incident.
- A valid and duly filled claim intimation form.
In case you want to make an online claim then the claiming process starts just after intimating about the incident. You need the below documents to make an online car insurance claim.
- Identification proof of the policyholder such as Aadhar card, voter id, or PAN card.
- A lump-sum estimate of the repairing expenses. In case you want to make a non-cashless claim, then you need to submit these documents after repairing your vehicle.
- Proper invoice from the garage with all the expenses mentioned on it.
- Payment receipt
- Canceled cheque.
The common reason for car insurance claim rejection
- Providing incorrect documents or any wrong information provided in the claiming form.
- Illegal use of vehicles.
- Driving without a license.
- Asking for repairing expenses without informing the incident to the insurance company.
- The insurance policy is not on your name (In case of a second-hand vehicle).
- Violating traffic rules.
- Accidents caused due to the influence of inhaling intoxicating substances while driving.
- Making a claim after the policy expires.
Tips to make a smooth car settlement claim
We have provided some points that will assuredly help you take a smooth claim:
- The policyholder needs to read the policy documents Thoroughly while filing a car insurance claim.
- Inform about the accident and damage to the insurance company as soon as possible.
- If you lack understanding of any term in the policy then take the help of customer support.
- For reimbursement claims, keep a record of all the expenses incurred during the repairing of the vehicle. As the insurance company will need all the proofs and bills of the expenses.
- File FIR or inform the local police station of that area to reduce your part of stress.
- If you purchase the policy from an agent then contact the agent to take care of the claim settlement process. He can coordinate with the insurance company on your behalf.
- Submit only genuine documents along with the claim application form for a smoother and faster claim process.
- In case the accident happens in a deserted place then make sure to click pictures of the damaged vehicle along with some pictures of nearby locations. This will work as a valid proof of the accident.